If you have been the victim of a crime, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. This compensation is there to help you if you have been injured or suffered financial loss as a result of the crime in question. Who actually pays that compensation will depend on the nature of the crime itself and the situation that surrounds it.

Judge's gavel stethoscope

  • You may be able to get compensation from the criminal, providing they have not been sent to prison. This is done through a criminal court (i.e. magistrates’ or crown court), which can order the offender to pay you compensation if it is deemed appropriate. To pursue compensation in this manner, you will need to speak to the police officer dealing with your case and give them as much information as you can about how you have suffered. Keeping receipts and records of extra costs or loss of earnings as a result of the crime helps with this. Any compensation granted by the court in this manner will always take what the offender can afford into consideration.
  • You may be able to get compensation from the person to blame through a civil court (i.e. county court). If you are considering suing someone for compensation in this way, it is important to seek legal advice to determine whether the cost of taking someone to court is worth it. Call our team free on 0808 231 5942 for free, no obligation advice.
  • You may be able to get compensation from the government if you have been a victim of violent crime and have suffered injuries or loss of earnings, or if a loved one has died as the result of such a crime. The government agency that deals with these claims is called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

Compensation for being assaulted

If you have been the victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation from the government organisation, CICA, under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. The CICA pays compensation for victims of violent crimes, including attacks and assaults, as well as compensation for rape victims in the UK, providing the application is eligible. Although financial awards cannot undo the damage violent crimes cause, it can be viewed as a form of justice in some sense, whether the offender has been convicted or not.

The CICA handles the majority of criminal injury compensation claims in the UK and makes financial awards to successful claimants, ranging between £1,000 and £500,000. After you have sent your application form to the CICA, the organisation contacts the police, as well as the doctor, hospital or any other people with relevant information about your claim, before making a final decision. This process can take a year or longer.

In order to be eligible to make a claim to the CICA, you must have been injured in an act of violence in England, Scotland or Wales within the last two years, although this length of time may be extended if there are sufficient special circumstances to explain a delay in making the claim. An offender does not necessarily have to have been convicted or charged with the crime your injuries relate to. As long as you have co-operated fully with the police investigation, you should still be eligible to make a claim. Applications for financial awards from the CICA may be refused or reduced for a number of reasons, including a victim’s behaviour before, during or after the incident in question, the victim’s criminal record or failure to co-operate with the police or the CICA itself.

Compensation for dog bite victims

If you have been injured as a result of being the victim of a dog attack, you may be eligible for compensation, which will typically be paid by the dog owner’s insurance company.

Dog bites and other dog attacks are the most common type of personal injury claim for attacks by animals and can leave victims with both mental and physical injuries. For a compensation claim regarding a dog bite, in most cases there would need to be evidence that the owner, keeper or handler of the dog knew, or ought to have known, that the dog was dangerous. If you have been attacked by an un-muzzled dog of a breed covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, which requires such dogs to be micro chipped and muzzled in public places, a personal injury claim is likely to be successful, regardless of whether the animal has been aggressive previously.

If you have suffered an injury as the result of a dog attack then you may be entitled to make a ‘no win, no fee’ compensation claim against the owner, keeper or handler of the dog. If the person who owns the dog has home or dedicated pet insurance, any compensation granted would be paid for by the insurance company in question. It is also possible, in some cases, to make a claim for compensation for dog bite victims through the CICA.

Compensation for work-related injury

All employers have a legal responsibility to provide employees with a safe and secure workplace. Accidents at work could be caused by a number of things including unsafe premises, unsuitable equipment or materials, lack of training or even incompetent staff.

It is also a legal requirement for your employer to have insurance cover for injuries sustained in the workplace, or while carrying out employment duties, known as Employers Liability Insurance. Any compensation granted by a successful claim for a work related injury will be paid by your employer’s insurance company, and not by the employer itself.

If you have any questions regarding who might pay the compensation in a particular criminal case that may have affected you, call us free on 0808 231 5942. We offer free, no obligation advice and our phone lines are open 24-hours a day, seven days a week.