Making a claim after a Road Traffic Accident

Have you been involved in a road traffic accident and want to make a claim? We at have helped thousands of people make road accident claims throughout the UK. Contact us today for a free claim assessment.

  • No Win No Fee – Your road accident claim will be made on a no win no fee basis.  So if your accident claim is not successful, you will not have to pay your solicitor a penny.
  • Win Compensation – If your road accident claim is successful, you will receive compensation.
  • High Success Rate – Your claim will be handled by solicitors highly experienced in road accident claims, so you can rest assured that your compensation claim is in good hands.

Unfortunately road traffic accidents (also known as RTAs) are a common occurrence, with most people being involved in at least one road accident in their life-time.  It is estimated that there are over 300,000 injuries caused by car accidents every year, with the majority of these road traffic accidents being caused by human error. Many of these injuries will result in car accident claims being made.

Can I claim compensation if I was injured in a road traffic accident?

Whether you are the driver, a passenger, on a motorcycle, a cyclist or a pedestrian that has been involved in a road traffic accident, if the accident was not your fault, you may be able to make a claim for any personal injuries that you have suffered as a result of the accident.

All cars and other motor vehicles are required by law to have insurance to protect against any road traffic accidents that occur.  Therefore if you are involved in a road traffic accident, the first thing you should do is exchange insurance details with the other party, as your claim for personal injury will be made against the insurance company of the third party.

With some road traffic accidents there may not be an insurance company to claim personal injury compensation from.  For example, if you are involved in a road traffic accident involving an uninsured driver, or are involved in an accident where the other driver has driven off (i.e. a hit and run accident).  In these circumstances you may still be able to make a road accident claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).

Although most road accident claims are made against the driver of another vehicle, there are other circumstances where a road accident claim may be made. This could include road accidents caused by children or other pedestrians, road accidents caused by animals or road traffic accidents caused by dangerous road surfaces.

What to do if you are involved in a road traffic accident

As with all personal injury claims, in order to make a successful road accident claim, you would first need to prove that another person was at fault for the accident which has caused your personal injury.

To help prove that another person was responsible for your road traffic accident, and your subsequent injuries, it is a good idea to try to make a note of the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.  It can also benefit road accident claims if you are able to take some photographs of the scene of the accident, such as the location of the cars, any skidmarks on the road, etc.

If anybody involved in the road traffic accident has been seriously injured or if the third party driver leaves the scene, has no valid insurance, or appears to be driving under the influence of alcohol or any other substance, you should contact the Police immediately to report the accident.

Road accidents caused by children

If any kids are passengers while you’re driving, then in the case of an accident you become responsible for any injury caused to them. Regardless of whether the kids distracted you while driving, you will still be held accountable. If a child on the road was involved in the accident, the child’s parents or guardians could be held responsible for not keeping a watchful eye on the child and allowing him or her to run out on to the road. This is only provided you are found to be obeying all the traffic rules and it was the child who came in your way.

If you are driving a car and are involved in an accident that was your fault, any injured children (passengers or pedestrians) will be able to make a personal injury claim against your insurance company. If the accident is caused by another driver on the road, then the claim will be made against their insurance company.

For example, if you are driving along the road with your own children in your car, and you cause a road traffic accident, any of your children who are injured will be able to claim compensation from the company that provides your insurance policy.

Start a road accident claim with our easy online form

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident within the past three years and would like to find out if you are entitled to make no win no fee road accident claims, contact us by filling out our online personal injury claim form.